Form  W-9

(Rev. October 2018)
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service

Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification

▶ Go to for instructions and the latest information

Give Form to the requester. Do not send to the IRS.


General Instructions

Section references are to the Internal Revenue Code unless otherwise

Future developments. For the latest information about developments
related to Form W-9 and its instructions, such as legislation enacted
after they were published, go to

Purpose of Form

An individual or entity (Form W-9 requester) who is required to file an
information return with the IRS must obtain your correct taxpayer
identification number (TIN) which may be your social security number
(SSN), individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), adoption
taxpayer identification number (ATIN), or employer identification number
(EIN), to report on an information return the amount paid to you, or other
amount reportable on an information return. Examples of information
returns include, but are not limited to, the following.

• Form 1099-INT (interest earned or paid)
• Form 1099-DIV (dividends, including those from stocks or mutual
• Form 1099-MISC (various types of income, prizes, awards, or gross
• Form 1099-B (stock or mutual fund sales and certain other
transactions by brokers)
• Form 1099-S (proceeds from real estate transactions)
• Form 1099-K (merchant card and third party network transactions)
• Form 1098 (home mortgage interest), 1098-E (student loan interest),
1098-T (tuition)
• Form 1099-C (canceled debt)
• Form 1099-A (acquisition or abandonment of secured property)
Use Form W-9 only if you are a U.S. person (including a resident
alien), to provide your correct TIN.
If you do not return Form W-9 to the requester with a TIN, you might
be subject to backup withholding. See What is backup withholding,